Re: HTML/XML TF Report glosses over Polyglot Markup

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 11:02:28 +0000
To: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Cc: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, public-html WG <public-html@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org
Robin Berjon writes:

> Saying "polyglot" here just doesn't help: very little real-world
> content uses it. Note that the section clearly looks at polyglot and
> gives a clear reason for not using it in this case.

That depends on where you look.  I know of a number of companies whose
products produced, by design, HTML-compatible XHTML, which we would
now call polyglot, precisely because it gave them the ability to
post-process with XML tools while at the same time serving to IE6
clients confidently.  The parallel requirements aren't going away, and
polyglot HTML5 will serve them very well.

                Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk