Re: FW: Embedding copyright-infringing video is not a crime, court rules - CNET Mobile

On 08/06/2012 06:36 AM, "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
> On 2012/08/04 8:40, Ashok Malhotra wrote:
>> Thanks, Wendy, that's very helpful.
>>
>> Although we have decided to stick to just technical exposition in the
>> P&L,
>> I"m tempted to add a paragraph like the following:
>> **In some situations and in some jurisdictions legal opinion
>> distinguishes
>> between linking and embedding. For example in
>>
>> <http://www.ca7.uscourts.gov/fdocs/docs.fwx?submit=showbr&shofile=11-3190_002.pdf>
>>

>> Judge Posner makes an analogy between embedding a foreign site's video
>> and giving the
>> address of a bookstore (from which someone might steal a book; not an
>> infringement of
>> copyright) or a theater (in which the play is performed.) The listing
>> isn't doing the public performance.
>
> Yes indeed. But the analogy is flawed in the sense that if I (as the end
> user) get an address of a bookstore, I have to make a conscious decision
> and carry it out to go there and steal something, and in the case of a
> theater, I have to make a conscious decision and carry it out to go
> there and sneak in without paying. To me at least, that seems to be
> quite different to the browser case, where I (as the end user) don't
> make any such decision at all, the browser does it for me. And why does
> the browser do it for me? Because it is instructed so by the code from
> the site in question.
>
> Anyway, IANAL and such, but as far as I understand the US system, a
> decision doesn't yet make law.

This is a decision of the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals, which makes law
for the 7th Cir (Illinois and surrounding states) unless overruled by
the Supreme Court; it can also be persuasive to courts in other circuits.

 Also, it is a preliminary decision, and
> one aspect of it is special in that it's not addressing the main
> question of whether embedding copyrighted content is a-priori legal or
> illegal, it's just about whether embedding from an already
> copyright-infringing site is contributory copyright infringement.
> Whereas we technical people would probably see both as one and the same,
> that's not so sure with these lawyers and judges.

That's right. It was a decision on a preliminary injunction, meaning it
took only the facts as alleged in the complaint, and the particular
circumstances of MyVidster's practice: allowing users to "bookmark"
videos and automatically embedding those videos the users select. So
MyVidster argued that *it* wasn't responsible for the choice of videos
some of which might be infringing, but was providing general-purpose
video bookmarking tools.

The secondary infringement analysis under U.S. law (particularly
contributory and inducement liability, post-Grokster) can depend on
knowledge and intent, not just the visible elements of the page, so
MyVidster, which provides a tool that automatically embeds user-chosen
links, might get different treatment from a site that actively chose
infringing materials to embed or one that encouraged people to "fight
the entertainment business."

>From a technical architecture perspective, I think it's worth supporting
that distinction between the tool and the person who uses it,
recognizing that many Web users "publish" through third-party tools on
remotely hosted sites rather than hosting on their own servers. By
protecting general-purpose tools, we can help people to have freedom to
publish without requiring that they have the technical capacity to do it
all on their own.

--Wendy

http://wendy.seltzer.org/        +1.617.863.0613 (mobile)