Re: FW: Embedding copyright-infringing video is not a crime, court rules - CNET Mobile

On 08/03/2012 12:14 PM, Noah Mendelsohn wrote:
> Wow, thanks! Unfortunately, the link [1] provided for the actual court
> ruling doesn't resolve just now,

A better link is
<http://www.ca7.uscourts.gov/fdocs/docs.fwx?submit=showbr&shofile=11-3190_002.pdf>

The case is Flava Works, Inc v. Marques Rondale

The full decision is a readable 20 pages, showing a better technical
understanding than many courts. Posner makes analogies between embedding
a foreign site's video and giving the address of a bookstore (from which
someone might steal a book; not an infringement of copyright) or a
theater (in which the play is performed; the directory isn't doing the
public performance).

--Wendy

but accepting as correct the quote in

http://wendy.seltzer.org/        +1.617.863.0613 (mobile)