TAG briefing on DANE and alternatives action-697

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 20:59:49 -0700
To: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>
CC: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
As part of the discussion at the TAG F2F about events at IETF, I noted that DANE was last call, and took ACTION-697  https://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/697  to prepare a discussion of DANE for the TAG.

This was a follow-up from the TAG "Issues of concern" memo http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2012Feb/0049.html pointing out the issue of weaknesses in the certificate authority system and the subsequent exchange with Jeff Jaffe, ending in http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2012Feb/0079.html

Latest DANE internet draft: http://tools.ietf.org/wg/dane/draft-ietf-dane-protocol/
Phllip Hallam-Baker paper about Comodo http://cryptome.org/2012/04/omnibroker.pdf
Richard Barnes article on DANE:  http://isoc.org/wp/ietfjournal/?p=2584

While I might hope for more concise documentation about the problem space and the comparison of approaches to a solution, I think what we have could count as pre-reading for a TAG discussion.

So I'd like to mark action-697 as Pending Review, with the hope that we might schedule some time with one or more "invited expert" to brief us on the situation, in conjunction with the T&S Domain and Interaction Domain.