ACTION-696: frame discussion of XML-ER goals and use cases

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 15:50:06 +0100
Cc: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
To: "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>
Hi,

This action was given to me I think with the intention of having a discussion about XML-ER either this week or next week.

For the agenda, I'd suggest:

Goal:
  * identify recommended changes to XML-ER charter [1] and next steps in ensuring these are taken to the XML-ER group
Background:
  * XML-ER Community Group Home Page [2]
  * Discussion at F2F [3]

plus a reference to this email in the archives.

Concerns raised by TAG members during the F2F discussion included:

  * restricting XML-ER processing to non-safety-critical applications
  * ensuring that any error recovery is reported noisily
  * error recovery causing a race to the bottom and evolutionary drift
  * potential security problems with the same file being interpreted in different ways by different processors
  * interactions with media-type sniffing

If I (say) were tasked with taking these forward, I'd be happy enough with the first two but would appreciate some clarity and preferably concrete examples that illustrate the latter three, to help the XML-ER group tell whether they are addressed or not.

Cheers,

Jeni

[1] http://www.w3.org/community/xml-er/wiki/Charter
[2] http://www.w3.org/community/xml-er/