Re: TAG productivity, elections, and httpRange-14

From: Jonathan A Rees <rees@mumble.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:15:24 -0400
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Cc: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
+1 to refocus on Architectural Recommendations, which is what the TAG
did successfully until 2004. We should look at how this idea would
help force the disposition of the ten findings that are currently in
possible-Arch-Rec limbo [1]. But exploratory work and efforts toward
Notes shouldn't be shunned just because we don't see a clear path to
Arch Rec - after all problem solving is what draws people to the TAG,
not the prospect of shepherding Arch Recs. I'd try to have a mixed
portfolio of Arch Rec and speculative work. I think there are
important issues that may take 5 or 10 years (or careers) to work out
as background tasks, and they shouldn't be shut out just because we
aren't confident we can drive them to conclusion in a year or two. (I
guess you didn't say otherwise.)

+1 to taking issue-57 off our agenda. It is a real problem, just not a
problem that's appropriate any more for the TAG to work on beyond an
appropriate handoff. I assume you are just using it as a recent and
prominent example of how we might better use our time; there may be
other examples.

+1 to thinking about ways to attract the right talent to the TAG. We
tend to look under our lampposts, and this is natural and appropriate
to some extent. What is urgent and important has evolved since 2004.
Ultimately to change what the TAG can address well, the AC and
director must change its personnel; it's not up to the current
membership. In the meantime it would be good if possible to put more
effort into promoting the kind of work we'd like to see done by others
(whether they will be future TAG members or not) by raising the
visibility of important problems and making work on them seem more
enticing. This means publishing more speculation and more questions
(in addition to all those Arch Recs).

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/findings