Re: TAG productivity, elections, and httpRange-14

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 19:31:44 -0400
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
CC: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>

On 4/23/2012 6:27 PM, Larry Masinter wrote:
> The charter does not mention "findings".

No, but it says as the first mission of the TAG [1]:

"to document and build consensus around principles of Web architecture and
to interpret and clarify these principles when necessary;"

Note that it does not say "document community consensus". It also goes on
to say:

"The TAG will not just document what is widely accepted; it will also
anticipate growth and fundamental interoperability problems"

That seems pretty clearly to anticipate the need for the TAG to document
ideas that are not yet widely accepted. Findings seem to me to be very much
in that spirit.

 > Mark any 'finding' more than a year old as 'historical', and start with
a clean slate.

I think the TAG could do much more to advertise and spread the word about
what's in some of the better findings, but as it is I have found many of
them to be very helpful as points of reference, including in recent
discussions. I think that dropping after a year any finding that doesn't
have REC-level consensus after a year would waste a huge amount of
important work that the TAG has done over a decade. It's pretty clear what
TAG Findings are: the considered opinion of the TAG at the time they were
published. As I say, I have found a number of the findings to be very
helpful, and I often reference them when people ask me for information
about Web architecture.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/10/27-tag-charter#Mission