Re: Naming things with hashes (not #, but e.g. md5)

On Wed, 2012-04-11 at 13:09 -0400, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
[ . . . ]
> Aren't we looking for a clear *definition* of what a URI actually is ?
>  And then following that, firming up on how a URI can be used to
> Identify/Name referents that happen to be realm agnostic  *things* or
> *entities* .

Yes, that's the part that we're trying to nail down now:

 - An RDF statement author needs to know what conventions to follow when
writing RDF statements, in order to write RDF statements that RDF
consumers will be likely to "understand".  (And by "understand" I mean
that the RDF consumer obtains, a target URI in the statement, the URI
definition that the RDF statement author intended when writing the
statement.)

 - An RDF consumer needs to know what conventions to follow if he/she/it
wishes to discover what URI definition the RDF statement author used
when writing that RDF statement.

Furthermore, if the conventions involve the role of "URI owner" -- and
not everyone thinks they should -- then:

- The URI owner needs to know what conventions to follow, in order to
provide a URI definition that is likely to be used by RDF statement
authors and RDF consumers.

--
David Booth, Ph.D.
http://dbooth.org/