Re: Naming things with hashes (not #, but e.g. md5)

On 4/10/12 5:19 PM, Larry Masinter wrote:
> httpRange-14 is about trying to give a meaning to URIs other than the meaning that derives naturally from the interpretation of the URI in an a@href. Thus, I think httpRange-14 is based on a presumption that is false.
>
> The "ni:" scheme is about naming content which is static. If the content changes then the hash changes, and so the name no longer applies.
>
> Meaning and persistence are intimately tied together: if you ask for a name to be "persistent", what you're asking to persist is its meaning. If you ask what a name "means", you're asking about what of its mapping to meaning you want to persist.
>
> Anyway: you can't name "things" with hashes, you can only name static content.

Using HTTP you can Name anything with a Hash URI. Same rules apply if
you opt for a  Hashless URI.

We only have issues when dealing with Name vs Address disambiguation.
That's why Van's presentation is so helpful. It deals with Data Naming
issues and Networking with clarity.

Kingsley

--

Regards,