From: www-tag-request@w3.org [mailto:www-tag-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Roessler
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:36 AM
To: Noah Mendelsohn
Cc: Thomas Roessler; www-tag@w3.org; Yves Lafon; RV Guha; Jeni Tennison; Dan Brickley; Ivan Herman; Tim Berners-Lee
Subject: Proposed SWIG task forces on HTML Data, Web Schemas

Noah,

the TAG has asked the W3C Team to form a Task Force to consider the RDFa and microdata formats and their relationship:
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Jun/0366.html

The TAG's request proposed a broad range of possible findings, including the investigation of avenues to converge the two formats, as well as an analysis and change proposals to facilitate a possible co-existence.

Based on private consultations of the W3C Team with interested parties, and the community feedback and reactions we got, we concluded that the most productive course of action at this point is to analyze and clarify the relationship between the two formats from a purely technical perspective.

We have therefore proposed an HTML Data Task Force to the Semantic Web Interest Group (SWIG), with the following charter:
	http://www.w3.org/wiki/Html-data-tf

At the same time, we have proposed another SWIG Task Force devoted to practical issues around data schemas for large-scale use in the public Web, the Web Schemas task force:
	http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/interest/webschema.html

We thank Jeni Tennison for volunteering to chair the HTML Data Task force, and RV Guha for volunteering to chair the Web Schemas Taks Force.

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>  (@roessler)