Re: Red herring Re: naive question: why prefer absolute URIs to # URIs for linked data?

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org> wrote:

> On 2011-08 -31, at 17:39, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:
>
> > Spot on. Couldn't agree more.
> > -Alan
> >
> > On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 4:52 PM, Ian Davis <me@iandavis.com> wrote:
> >> I think there are a number of contributing factors:
> >>
> >> 1) architecturally the meaning of the fragment is determined by the
> media
> >> type of the representation. Thus meaning of a hash URI depends on how
> you
> >> access it.
>
> Let me first declare this a red herring.   It is convenient to
> be able to server a file up say in RDF/XML and N3 and content negotiate,
> but a condition of doing this is that the meaning is NOT changed between
> the two.
> Any more than if you served a document saying
> "It is sunny" in text/html and one saying "it is rainy" in
> application/xhtml+xml.
> Typically with for example rdf/xml and turtle, the same RDF graph is
> sent.

You are correct. I should have read his words more carefully. I believe,
however, that he meant not that "the meaning depends on how you access it"
but rather "the protocol for determining what a fragment refers is
determined by the media type". In other words, that we are not free to give
an (authoritative) interpretation of the meaning of a fragment in every
case. Doing so, for a media type that gives a conflicting interpretation for
a fragment identifier,  would be something like defining the meaning of URIs
in domains of which you are not owner.

-Alan