Re: Comments on "Interoperability of referential uses of hashless URIs"

On 10/24/11 11:06 AM, Jonathan Rees wrote:
> [...]
> information isn't needed, you don't have to send it. If the receiver
> doesn't understand what the sender is saying, you need coordination,
> e.g. prior discussion, or a standard, or something.
>
> Roughly speaking, ambiguity is the reciprocal of information.
> Obviously there is no such thing as "completely unambiguous" - that
> would be the same as "total information" which is ridiculous. Any
> message has the potential to be incomplete, or not understood, in some
> context. That is, a communication protocol might work perfectly fine
> for a while, and then two communicating parties might say: Hey, this
> won't do, we need more clarity / information about this. This just an
> inadequacy that should be fixed somehow. We don't say: Oh no, totally
> unambiguous communication is impossible, so we have to just give up
> all hope of communicating, live with what have, drop the idea of
> correctness and accountability, and so on.
>
> All format and protocol specs evolve in the direction of increasing
> the richness and success of communication. (Well ideally at least...)
> That's all we're talking about here. We can decide that any given
> communication problem, such as metadata, should be solved by someone
> else; that doesn't make the problem go away.
>
> A large class of metadata expression problems (such as the licensing
> one) have a fairly simple solution that Tim has been advocating for
> almost twenty years. We have a solution to a problem. It has some
> warts and some opposition. If we decide the TAG shouldn't be involved
> in fixing it, that's fine. It will just get pushed out to a different
> forum and solved by them in some way of their choosing.
>
> Of course there are special cases where D2 and S2 are not mutually
> exclusive. If John Smith Jr. and John Smith Sr. live at 5 Ambiguity
> Lane, then there is no problem if I say that John Smith lives at 5
> Ambiguity Lane, since it's true under any interpretation of "John
> Smith". But for some other situations it won't work for me to just say
> "John Smith" - like if I say that John Smith is 44 years old. Neither
> particular situation is more "general" than the other, but a
> communication system that lets you coordinate more meanings and make
> finer distinctions is generally more "general" or useful than one that
> does not. The "John Smith" situation holds for any "identifier" system
> - that was the point of the Hayes/Halpin paper. All it says is that
> you need to engineer your communication system so that what has to be
> said, is said, and is understood.
>
> So I stand by what I say, and I continue to think it's obvious. D2 and
> S2 are incompatible because, as general methods, in most cases they
> give mutually inconsistent answers. The fact that occasionally they
> don't, or equivalently that the incompatibilities happen to not matter
> to some particular sender or receiver, doesn't affect the truth of the
> statement that they're incompatible as general methods.

Jonathan,

I really believe David meant: "horses for courses" . When all is said
and done, that's it. To each system/dimension/realm its own rules.

Right now, the rules for fine grained Linked Data are getting mangled
with the rules for coarse grained Linked Web Pages. That's an
alternative way of looking at all of this, I believe.

Kingsley

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen