Re: ISSUE-50 Bilder, Geoff. Identify This! Identifiers and Trust.

More on this, thanks to Twitter user @rdmpage (i.e. Rod Page, who got
it from @cygri who got it from @hvdsomp):

http://www.crossref.org/02publishers/doi_display_guidelines.html

   "CrossRef DOIs should always be displayed as permanent URLs in the
online environment.

   Example            http://dx.doi.org/10.1006/jmbi.1995.0238

   CrossRef recommends that CrossRef DOIs be displayed in this form
online wherever bibliographic information about a piece of content is
displayed."

So I agree that people are voting with their feet, but I think there
is some residual and harmful (and justified) uneasiness about the
mismatch between theory and practice. If this is really meant to work,
let's figure out how to get everyone to buy into it, especially IETF
and/or ICANN and/or PIR (not to mention IDF), so as to remove all
doubt, bolster the system against threats, and stimulate innovations
that can take advantage of it.

Jonathan