Re: TAG Comment on

From: Mike Taylor <miket@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 22:27:48 -0500
To: "Adam Barth" <w3c@adambarth.com>, "Mark Nottingham" <mnot@mnot.net>
Cc: "Noah Mendelsohn" <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, public-webapps@w3.org, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 18:30:15 -0500, Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> wrote:

> Yes, if you configure your browser to do so, you'll be assaulted with
> requests for a "test db" from many Web sites that use common frameworks.
> I don't think that this should count as "use."
> I do think now is precisely the time to be asking this kind of question;
> these features are NOT yet used at *Web* scale -- they're used by people
> willing to live on the bleeding edge, and therefore willing to accept
> risk of change.

A quick search of Google code [1], Github [2][3], and Bitbucket [4][5]
would indicate otherwise, IMO. For example, the TinyMCE WYSIWYG editor
that is included in every Wordpress installation (currently estimated at
65,787,814 sites [6]) uses localStorage for auto-saving blog posts (not
exactly bleeding-edge stuff). TinyMCE also boasts some of the most
successful and popular sites on the web as users [7]. And that's just one
single project from the many thousands of open source projects hosted by
Google Code, Bitbucket or Github.

[6] http://en.wordpress.com/stats/
[7] http://www.tinymce.com/enterprise/using.php

Mike Taylor