RE: Web browsers should preserve the file system Last-Modified time of downloaded files

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 13:03:05 -0800
To: Scott Penrose <scottp@dd.com.au>, Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
CC: Brolin Empey <brolin@brolin.be>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>
I think the time skew is the determining factor for me...

When two systems are on the internet communicating, they *might* be in sync but often are not. Maybe their clocks are only seconds apart. Maybe the latency between the two systems is small, but I think it is actually unusual for two systems to be in perfect sync. Whether or not it is unusual, it *does* happen.

Then, the "last-modified" time on the server is server-relative.  The client writes a file in its local file system, you might even get a file with "last modified" in the future.