Re: URL/URI/IRI resolution in HTML5/RDF/RDFa

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 18:22:02 +0000
Cc: "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Julian,

(I wasn't ignoring what you wrote, just wanted to check it out, hence the delay :)

On 2 Nov 2011, at 15:11, Julian Reschke wrote:

> 2a) The uniform treatment of "\" hasn't agreement; for instance, Firefox does it only for file URIs (as far as I recall).
>
> 2b) That being said, "\" doesn't appear in syntactically valid URIs or IRIs anyway, so maybe we can ignore the question; it won't affect any valid URI/IRI anyway.

That being the case, how would any URL that contained a "\" get to step 12 of the HTML5 resolution algorithm [1] where they're swapped for "/"s given that step 10 says (I think!) that syntactically invalid URI/IRIs will raise an error and stop the resolution?

Jeni

[1] http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/urls.html#resolve-a-url
--
Jeni Tennison