W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-tag@w3.org > May 2011

Draft minutes for TAG telcon 2011-05-26

From: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 20:02:46 +0100
Message-Id: <EEEBBA1E-24F6-45D0-A49A-28C7F8FBBD0D@jenitennison.com>
To: "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>
Draft minutes from this week's call are now available at:

http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/05/26-minutes

and below.

Jeni

--

                               - DRAFT -

                 W3C TAG Teleconference of 26 May 2011

26 May 2011

   [2]Agenda

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/05/26-agenda

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Jeni, Noah, Dan, Larry, Henry, Ashok, Yves, Jonathan

   Regrets
          Tim, Peter

   Chair
          Noah Mendelsohn

   Scribe
          Jeni Tennison

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Approval of minutes
         2. [6]Administrative Items
         3. [7]HTML5 Last Call
         4. [8]F2F Agenda Review
     * [9]Summary of Action Items
     _________________________________________________________

   <scribe> Scribe: Jeni Tennison

   <scribe> ScribeNick: JeniT

Approval of minutes

   <noah> May 5: [10]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/05/05-minutes

     [10] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/05/05-minutes

   RESOLUTION: Minutes of 5 May 2011
   [11]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/05/05-minutes are approved.

     [11] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/05/05-minutes

   <noah> May 12: [12]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/05/12-minutes

     [12] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/05/12-minutes

   RESOLUTION: Minutes of 12 May 2011
   [13]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/05/12-minutes

     [13] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/05/12-minutes

Administrative Items

   noah: Please tell me about summer schedules
   ... HTML5 has just gone to last call, due date for comments August
   3rd
   ... we have been specifically asked for TAG review
   ... Should we have telcon next week?
   ... Hold time for now, and I will try to cancel if we can
   ... Regrets for June 2

   <jar> I cannot make a June 2 telecon

HTML5 Last Call

   noah: in the agenda is a link to a press release

   <noah> Press release:
   [14]http://www.w3.org/2011/05/html5lc-pr.html.en

     [14] http://www.w3.org/2011/05/html5lc-pr.html.en

   noah: there should be a mail somewhere but I haven't found it
   ... when we met 2 weeks ago, DKA and ht volunteered to review
   selected items
   ... DKA to review with an eye toward mobile

   <Larry> I think the TAG should give priority to helping resolve
   review comments from other W3C working groups and other standards
   organizations

   DKA: I'm confused about language reference: was it previously the
   TAG's view that the language reference should be a normative
   document?
   ... it's non-normative in this last call

   noah: There are two documents, one by Mike Smith which is
   non-normative
   ... what should be normative is the author-only view of the main
   spec
   ... let me ask chairs about where that stands

   DKA: The spec has a link to the 'web-developer edition'

   noah: it does say it's non-normative

   <noah> ACTION: Noah to follow up with HTML WG chairs as to why
   [15]http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/author/ is not normative recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action01]

     [15] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/author/
     [16] http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action01

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-556 - Follow up with HTML WG chairs as to
   why [17]http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/author/ is not normative on Noah
   Mendelsohn - due 2011-06-02].

     [17] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/author/

   noah: the web-author view is generated from the same source as the
   main spec
   ... we said that was an acceptable compromise
   ... The TAG's position was that if this was published as normative,
   we're OK with it.

   <Larry> The IANA registration says the "Published specification" is
   "This document" but appears in both the language reference document
   and the main document

   noah: DKA, are you looking to review things from the perspective of
   mobile?

   DKA: Yes, specifically app cache stuff, to the extent that's still
   in the spec

   noah: What should the TAG's top priorities be for this last call?

   ht: I was going to review the list of acceptable strings within the
   DOCTYPE.
   ... I want to review carefully the description of prefix binding.

   <Zakim> Larry, you wanted to discuss prioritizing TAG topics to
   "architectural" issues

   Larry: I think we should prioritise comments from other Working
   Groups and standards groups

   <noah> I'm sympathetic, but we need a process for doing that. Are
   you available to review those comments?

   Larry: We could communicate this to other groups that are commenting
   on the spec, that we would help if they want help.
   ... There are some comments that are being carried forward, and
   there will be more as last call proceeds.
   ... I'm suggesting we should give higher priority to topics
   suggested by others rather than within the TAG.

   <ht> +1 to requests from WGs

   JAR: I agree with Larry.

   ht: I agree wrt W3C Working Groups.

   noah: We could leave this in the minutes, and perhaps a WG will turn
   up and ask for help
   ... or we could reach out and tell people?

   Larry: Note to the WG chairs

   noah: Let's get consensus over such a note.

   <noah> ACTION: Larry to draft note for chairs list on TAG interest
   in hearing of architectural issues and comments relating to
   HTML5...draft to be sent to tag@w3.org [recorded in
   [18]http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action02]

     [18] http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action02

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-557 - Draft note for chairs list on TAG
   interest in hearing of architectural issues and comments relating to
   HTML5...draft to be sent to tag@w3.org [on Larry Masinter - due
   2011-06-02].

   noah: There's a lot that we have no one assigned to read or comment
   on.

   Jeni: Is microdata part of last call.

   Yves: yes

   <noah> [19]http://www.w3.org/TR/microdata/

     [19] http://www.w3.org/TR/microdata/

   <noah> [20]http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-microdata-20110525/

     [20] http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-microdata-20110525/

   <noah> ACTION: Jeni to review Microdata last call Due 2011-06-06
   [recorded in
   [21]http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action03]

     [21] http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action03

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-558 - Review Microdata last call Due
   2011-06-06 [on Jeni Tennison - due 2011-06-02].

   noah: F2F session on HTML5 last call?
   ... Anyone else?

   <noah> HTML5

   <noah> HTML+RDFa 1.1

   <noah> HTML Microdata

   <noah> HTML Canvas 2D Context

   <noah> Polyglot Markup: HTML-Compatible XHTML Documents

   <noah> HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives

   <noah> ACTION: Jeni to review HTML+RDfa last call Due 2011-06-06
   [recorded in
   [22]http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action04]

     [22] http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action04

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-559 - Review HTML+RDfa last call Due
   2011-06-06 [on Jeni Tennison - due 2011-06-02].

   JAR: I predict we'll be able to make good use of discussion time at
   the F2F

   noah: Let's see what the other things are that we want to talk about
   at the F2F.

   <jar> that is, specifically about RDFa and microdata, even if we're
   not all really well prepared

   noah: I think we should look at Polyglot.

   <Yves> polyglot should indeed be on the reading list

   <DKA> +1 to us commenting on polyglot

   ht: There's been a long thread in xml-dev about it.

   <ht> Here's the xml-dev thread on polyglot:
   [23]http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/201105/msg00128.html

     [23] http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/201105/msg00128.html

   <noah> [24]http://www.w3.org/TR/html-polyglot/

     [24] http://www.w3.org/TR/html-polyglot/

   <noah> ACTION: Henry to review HTML polyglot last call Due
   2011-06-06 [recorded in
   [25]http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action05]

     [25] http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action05

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-560 - Review HTML polyglot last call Due
   2011-06-06 [on Henry Thompson - due 2011-06-02].

   <noah> [26]http://www.w3.org/TR/html-alt-techniques/

     [26] http://www.w3.org/TR/html-alt-techniques/

   noah: Does alt text relate to accessibility?
   ... is this a priority?

   Larry: Maybe there's a meta-issue about the proper working group for
   this document.

   ht: The chairs have said they're going to last call without the
   accessibility area nailed down.

   Larry: I'd like to read it wrt is this the right way to specify
   accessibility techniques.
   ... IETF have documents about internationalisation, security,
   privacy etc
   ... W3C has a group that handles accessibility.
   ... What guidelines should we give for expressing these techniques:
   should they be normative? how do we deal with contradictions?

   noah: These folks have been wrestling with this for years.
   ... They went to last call; no one is asking us to go meta; how are
   we going to get these large documents reviewed?

   <Larry> I think that the main function of the tag is to "go meta"

   Larry: I think we could do this in 15 minutes.

   <Larry> I think you can "go meta" in 15 minutes, it's not
   necessarily an endless task, but 15 minutes isn't optimal

   DKA: I was at the AC meeting last week, there was a lot of
   controversy around HTML5
   ... There are a bunch of open issues, a lot to do with
   accessibility, a lot of controversy around those issues.

   <Larry> I think the issue really has to do with disagreement about
   how accessibility techniques are made normative, and that commenting
   specifically on the meta-issue would be appropriate for the TAG

F2F Agenda Review

   <noah>
   [27]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/05/11F2FAgendaPlanning.html

     [27] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/05/11F2FAgendaPlanning.html

   noah: Let's read through rapidly, and then we'll go back over
   ... First establish top priorities.
   ... Commit to 2/3 deliverables.

   <Larry> shouldn't HTML5 topics be a "Top Priority" of the F2F?

   noah: Move client-side state to publication.

   <Larry> I'd give technical topics a higher priority than "align
   product pages", which is a task in service

   Larry: The third topic is not a technical priority, and I'd give
   technical topics a priority.

   noah: I'll make note with HTML5 as a priority.
   ... Starting to make list of required reading.
   ... Is ACTION-531 going to be ready for the F2F?

   Larry: Having trouble getting input from other people.

   noah: We will have some administration.

   <Larry> well, I haven't pushed hard on Philippe and Thomas, but i
   imagine they're busy with HTML5 and Privacy

   noah: General Topics
   ... Discussed having lunch with Jim to see what he has to say.
   ... Scope is that HTTP is not designed properly to run on these
   network stacks, so we have serious work to do to rework HTTP.
   ... IAB telcon while we're at the F2F
   ... ACTION-549 on Larry/Henry/Yves to create agenda
   ... Copyright & deep linking

   JeniT: Would like to go through document
   ... and identify places where TAG has opinion about impact of legal
   decisions
   ... dated version of document will be done shortly and email sent to
   Noah.

   <jar> larry, we've been over that ground. the tag is unanimous in
   not wanting to give legal opinion. this goes without saying

   <Larry> not what JeniT said

   <JeniT> Larry, I'm not saying make legal recommendations at all...

   <JeniT> Larry, I'm saying as we discussed and agreed a few weeks
   ago, stating the technical impact of particular legal decisions that
   governments and lawyers could make.

   noah: Privacy

   DKA: We should read Privacy Report and try to understand impact.

   noah: Ashok, could you lead us in discussion on privacy workshop?

   Ashok: Yes
   ... This is a large and complicated topic, do-not-track is one
   aspect of it.
   ... Need to also talk about Dan's stuff on minimisation etc.

   ht: We reviewed XML/HTML report last F2F, talked about it with Norm,
   quick look it doesn't look changed -- can we find out how much it's
   changed?

   <noah> ACTION: Norm to tell us how much has changed on HTML/XML
   [recorded in
   [28]http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action06]

     [28] http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action06

   <trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Norm

   <noah> ACTION: Noah to ask Norm to tell us how much has changed on
   HTML/XML [recorded in
   [29]http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action07]

     [29] http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action07

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-561 - Ask Norm to tell us how much has
   changed on HTML/XML [on Noah Mendelsohn - due 2011-06-02].

   noah: I think the report has come since the last F2F.

   <Zakim> ht2, you wanted to ask for 1/2 a slot to discuss 3023bis and
   IRIbis status

   ht: Need to know about what to do about 3023bis, XML Core is getting
   antsy.

   <noah> ACTION: Henry to organize F2F session on IRIbis and 3023bis
   [recorded in
   [30]http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action08]

     [30] http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action08

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-562 - Organize F2F session on IRIbis and
   3023bis [on Henry Thompson - due 2011-06-02].

   jar: On Issue-27 -- I'm not asking for F2F time necessarily on this.
   ... Also, most of my time since last F2F has been on Issue-57
   ... Would be nice to have a bit of feedback from the TAG on it.

   <Larry> issue-57?

   <trackbot> ISSUE-57 -- Mechanisms for obtaining information about
   the meaning of a given URI -- open

   <trackbot> [31]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/57

     [31] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/57

   <ht> HST leaving

   jar: There's a document that's in draft to read.

   noah: DKA: Can you keep in mind ACTION-460

   <jar> replace "JAR hopes to have an ISSUE-57 document" with "JAR
   will have an ISSUE-57 document"

   DKA: Hopping back to Ashok's comment on privacy and do-not-track,
   but think it might be most timely way that we can focus attention at
   the F2F.
   ... We could provide some input into the process.

   Ashok: We're in agreement.

   noah: HTML/XML Unification
   ... Assume we do want to discuss this, unless there's not much new.
   ... Web Apps
   ... Should be new draft on client-side state, big priority to
   complete that.
   ... API minimisation

   DKA: On agenda on DAP call next week
   ... better draft going to be last minute thing, but it's a small
   document.

   <noah> ACTION-514 Due 2011-06-03

   <trackbot> ACTION-514 Draft finding on API minimization due date now
   2011-06-03

   noah: Interaction (ACTION-537)

   DKA: Not time to do this.

   <noah> ACTION-537 Due 2011-07-15

   <trackbot> ACTION-537 Reach out to Web apps chair to solicit help on
   framing architecture (incluing terminology, good practice) relating
   to interaction due date now 2011-07-15

   noah: Packaged Web Apps

   DKA: Probably nothing to comment on until later in the summer.

   noah: F2F is opportunity for you to explain the issues?

   DKA: Maybe 20 minutes talking about the different approaches?
   ... Fits in with HTML5 review, because one approach is app cache.

   noah: Security
   ... Our expertise is spotty.
   ... John Kemp started something, Larry took it on.

   Larry: I need to get hold of John Kemp.

   noah: Security is even worse than privacy.
   ... We were educating ourselves on perma-cookies etc.
   ... Should we have a session and brainstorm?

   DKA: Would be useful to a TAG statement on the web security model.

   noah: No one has stepped up to do this.

   Larry: There's a websec WG with chairs and agendas

   noah: Thomas Roessler is supposed to be heading W3C's security
   agenda.

   <Larry> where is the W3C security work in the process?

   jar: if Web security model is basically CORS, then we're waiting for
   their Last Call, and they haven't done a heartbeat for a year.

   Larry: This needs to be an action item for the web security group in
   W3C.

   noah: Does the TAG have a stake in this?

   Larry: Nothing on the F2F, I'll work on getting something into the
   WG.

   <Larry> ack

   noah: Fragment IDs inc. #! and RDFa
   ... Action on Jeni & JAR

   JeniT: I will draft something for JAR.

   noah: Dropping Issue-27 for F2F
   ... Persistence of references

   JAR: I'm not going to have a draft finding but I will have some
   stuff to present and talk about
   ... Probably not until a few days before.

   noah: Not planning to schedule... ACTION-531
   ... similarly ACTION-543

   <Larry> I owe action on mime-web

   noah: ACTION-510

   <Larry> action-510?

   <trackbot> ACTION-510 -- Tim Berners-Lee to write a note conveying
   the TAG's concerns re: the microdata -> RDF URI mappings in the
   HTML5 microdata draft Due: 2011-01-20 -- due 2011-04-26 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [32]http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/510

     [32] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/actions/510

   noah: JeniT should look into ACTION-510

   Larry: Perhaps we could meet with Jeff in Boston? Perhaps Thomas?
   ... other W3C staff members?

   <jar> how about Sandro for issue-57 ?

   noah: Larry, please see if you can get W3C people involved to talk
   about registeries
   ... Happy to invite Sandro.
   ... Will try for more formal agenda for next Tue/Wed
   ... Adjourned

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: Henry to organize F2F session on IRIbis and 3023bis
   [recorded in
   [33]http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action08]
   [NEW] ACTION: Henry to review HTML polyglot last call Due 2011-06-06
   [recorded in
   [34]http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action05]
   [NEW] ACTION: Jeni to review HTML+RDfa last call Due 2011-06-06
   [recorded in
   [35]http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action04]
   [NEW] ACTION: Jeni to review Microdata last call Due 2011-06-06
   [recorded in
   [36]http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action03]
   [NEW] ACTION: Larry to draft note for chairs list on TAG interest in
   hearing of architectural issues and comments relating to
   HTML5...draft to be sent to tag@w3.org [recorded in
   [37]http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action02]
   [NEW] ACTION: Noah to ask Norm to tell us how much has changed on
   HTML/XML [recorded in
   [38]http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action07]
   [NEW] ACTION: Noah to follow up with HTML WG chairs as to why
   [39]http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/author/ is not normative recorded in
   [40]http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action01]
   [NEW] ACTION: Norm to tell us how much has changed on HTML/XML
   [recorded in
   [41]http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action06]

     [33] http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action08
     [34] http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action05
     [35] http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action04
     [36] http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action03
     [37] http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action02
     [38] http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action07
     [39] http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/author/
     [40] http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action01
     [41] http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-tagmem-minutes.html#action06

   [End of minutes]
     _________________________________________________________


    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [42]scribe.perl version 1.136
    ([43]CVS log)
    $Date: 2011/05/28 14:33:16 $

     [42] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [43] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/


-- 
Jeni Tennison
http://www.jenitennison.com
Received on Saturday, 28 May 2011 19:03:37 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 26 April 2012 12:48:35 GMT