Another ISSUE-50 alert: namecoin

From: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2011 18:45:21 -0700
To: www-tag@w3.org
Looks like a growing number of people are disturbed by the
vulnerabilities in the current DNS setup and are experimenting with
alternatives. I think most of you are probably aware of P2P DNS, e.g.
see http://blogs.computerworld.com/17444/p2p_dns_to_take_on_icann_after_us_domain_seizures
Here's a new twist I just learned of, using bitcoin protocols to
implement a DNS registry:
http://forum.bitcoin.org/?topic=6017.0 . They've even suggested
allocating a new TLD for the purpose - whether that would go through
IETF or IANA, or just snatched as Apple did with .local, I don't know.

I'm going to add a link to Francis Muguet's ideas, which are related,
as a reminder in case I encounter this piece of email again.

(Thanks to friends at Google for the tip, probably Mark S Miller but
perhaps someone else who was in the discussion, sorry if I've

Maybe I'll have something to say on this later, but for now just
wanted to provide this as an FYI. These are not readings for the F2F.