Re: Repurposing the Hash Sign for the New Web comments

From: Syd Lawrence <sydlawrence@googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 16:15:43 +0100
To: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
Julian, I believe Ashok is mistaken, as both do require js to operate.

Noah Mendelsohn wrote:
> I'm no fan of #!, but it gives you something that works on the
> millions of browsers that are already out there that don't have the
> history API. I'd like to believe we could, over time
But then there are the browsers that haven't implemented the hashchange
event, so to make the #! work in older browsers (< ie7, < ff 3.6) you
have to use yet another 'hack' and continually poll the location.hash to
see if it has changed.

Bear in mind the History API is now supported by most of the main
current release browsers (FF, chrome, safari, opera) except Microsoft's
Internet Explorer.