Re: ACTION- 541: Jeni to help Dan pull together terminology on Deep Linking

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 18:51:05 +0100
To: Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Cc: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, Dan Appelquist <Daniel.Appelquist@vodafone.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>

So on the call I said I thought the introductory bulleted definitions
would be more useful if they were less formal.  Here's an attempt to
show what I meant:

  *host*: to store something and make it available by name for users on the Web

  *cache*: to store a copy of something hosted elsewhere and
  likewise make it available

  *distribute* [why isn't this called 'proxy' or . . . -- I find this
  usage confusing]: to make something hosted elsewhere available,
  without keeping a copy

  *alias* [I would drop this from the initial list]: to make something
  available to Web users under one name by pointing them to something with a different name

  *include*: to include a copy of something from the Web in something
  else, which is then made available on the Web

  *link*: to reference by name something on the Web in something
  else, which is itself made available on the Web

Not perfect, but maybe you get the idea.

ht
- --
                Fax: (44) 131 651-1426, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk