Re: Identification of documents in Web applications

T.V Raman wrote:
> Some thoughts from the past:
>
> ? and # are symmetric -- ? is server-side # is client-side. One
> of the inconsistencies in web-arch as defined is that it perhaps
> fail to recognize this symmetry fully.

That sentence alone is very clarifying :) - and as Jeni noted,
developers are already using the two symmetrically, using paths and
key=value pairs in fragments.

> Secondly, I believe there is a continuum from documents to
> applications, an application with 0 interactivity is perhaps a
> document. Another way to look at this is:
>
> "The Document Is The Interface"  but "The Interface Is Not  A
> Document"  --- An interface is actually a collection of
> documents, where each document snapshots a particular state in
> the overall app;ication interaction.

This is a very interesting line of thought, so we could see the new
twitter site (for example) as providing a document which may have
potentially infinite states, and the server as providing a snapshot of
that document in a state from which the others can be composed by the
client (a continuation even), and fragments as being references to one
of those composed states.

This would be a very useful and efficient pattern for clients, servers
and the network; indeed without it each possible document state would
need to be generated, stored and then referenced and cached around the
web, which is almost infeasible.

I guess in to this comes references to composite resource state (as with
the hash-bang cases and Ashok's hashInURIs write up).

One could say that both servers and clients now have an equal role in
composing and controlling resource state, with resource representations
over the wire being continuations. Perhaps it could be suggested that
the universal interface works in both directions, hiding the
implementation details on both sides, exposing only the interface and
using resource identifiers and continuations with a well known media
type to transfer state between components...

I'll stop here, but interesting to say the least..

Best,

Nathan