Re: Personal comments on "Providing and Discovering Definitions of URIs"

On 6/27/11 12:24 PM, Leigh Dodds wrote:
> One item that is completely glossed over is that, outside of the
> Semantic Web community, no-one cares about this issue at all.

Could it be that no-one cares about this issue based on how its framed?
The issue is fundamental, the narrative to date, a whole different matter.

IMHO. the issue remains one of clarity (problem definition and suggested
solutions) and a troubling tendency to tackle this whole matter as
though its has no counterpart elsewhere.

As I've stated repeatedly, the only thing that's new re. http-range-14
is the fact that hyperlinks and HTTP are being used to surface a an old
concept via AWWW.

Name and Address distinctions are integral to computing and has worked
for a very long time, without dividing development or programmer
communities.

If we continue to hope that fashioning this whole matter as a concept
unique to the Web, due to HTTP URI utilization, it will never be solved
because it will always confuse a significant constituency be it
developers, power-users, or even end-users.

Links:

1.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=de-reference+address-of+indirection&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=SGsIToalGYyyhAeupajpDg
-- simple google on: de-reference, indirection, and address-of operations

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
President&  CEO