Re: Issue-57

From: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 14:53:01 -0400
To: Xiaoshu Wang <xiao@renci.org>
Cc: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, David Booth <david@dbooth.org>, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>
On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Xiaoshu Wang <xiao@renci.org> wrote:

> If http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Fire is used as it is:
>
> wiki:Pale_Fire a ex:WebPage.
> wiki:Pale_Fire ex:licence ex:l1.
> wiki:Pale_Fire ex:topic <aURI> .
> <aURI> a ex:Book.
> <aURI> ex:licence ex:l2.

You have not documented ex:WebPage, so I haven't a clue what you mean by it.

How does the receiver make the connection with the representations
retrieved via 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Fire' ?  That is, how
do I know that this URI is supposed to refer to that wiki page, as
opposed to some other wiki page, say the one accessed at
'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleak_House' , or Pale Fire itself? (And
consequently what the topic is?)

If you have retracted amended httpRange-14, then there is *no*
connection between the URI in its use as a name and retrieved
representations. It appears you have replaced httpRange-14 with some
other rule. What convention do the sender and receiver need to agree
on in order for the message to get across?

> If http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Fire is used to refer the book, then
>
> wiki:Pale_Fire a ex:Book.
> wiki:Pale_Fire ex:licence ex:l2.
> <aURI> ex:webPageOf wiki:Pale.
> <aURI> ex:licence ex:l1.

If httpRange-14 is withdrawn then it doesn't matter what URI is used
to refer to what - the reader of the RDF won't have any
preconceptions.  Unless you have a new rule.

A proper answer to the question has to say what prior agreement, in
the form of something resembling a specification, a sender and a
receiver have to have, in order for license information known to the
sender to be conveyed in RDF and reconstructed by the receiver.

Jonathan