RE: Normative status of author-only view of the HTML5 specification

>"These two specifications are generated from common base text and are intended to be entirely consistent. Both are normative and authoritative. ...

I can live with this text but I want to point out that W3C has successfully published two normative documents with substantive overlapping text before that were generated from the same source (ie XPath 2.0 [1] and XQuery 1.0 [2]) and these documents went all the way to Recommendation status without anyone in the W3C community expressing any concern whether one should be more normative that the other.  In fact these two documents were a joint effort of two different W3C Working Groups (XSL WG and XML Query WG) that worked together to ensure that the common normative text worked for both documents.

Personally in think both the HTML5 spec and the author-only view which are obviously aimed at different audiences can both be normative and that the HTML WG can work on ensuring that there are no conflicts between the two documents.

/paulc

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-xpath20-20070123/
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-xquery-20070123/

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada