Re: Dropping RDF mapping from microdata spec

Danny,

On 29 Jul 2011, at 10:12, Danny Ayers wrote:
> On 28 July 2011 19:37, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com> wrote:
>> There's also (to explain the thinking behind the way microdata works here) no need for automated discovery of such a schema. A consuming application either has hard-wired understanding of the vocabularies that it finds in a page or not. If it doesn't, it must not follow any links (eg the item type) to get any more information in order to understand the vocabulary. I think the rationale there is that if they could, it might lead to a dependence of the behaviour of the application on network connectivity.
>
> Ew. Download & cache surely preferable.

Sure, if you allow consumers to download information about unknown vocabularies then naturally they're going to cache it so that they know about it next time and aren't dependent on network connectivity. They then fall into the group that has hard-wired understanding of the vocabulary.

It is the set of consumers that *don't* already know about the vocabulary who might be tempted to download it to understand it, and would be prey to network connectivity issues.

>> Any code that consumes the vocabulary will naturally validate (and interpret, particularly to map to an appropriate data type) to whatever degree is useful.
>
> Makes sense, but I suspect any mention of validation will make the
> HTML folks run a mile -  maybe draw back to just sanity checking :)

You say tomahto, I say tomayto :) "Whatever degree is useful" might be no validation at all.

Jeni
--
Jeni Tennison
http://www.jenitennison.com