Re: Revised HTML/XML Task Force Report

On 2011-07-12 17:07, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 08:28:39 +0200, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
> wrote:
>> Maybe I'm asking too much, but I was hoping that the report from a
>> task force set up to work through xml-html convergence issues might
>> give a better idea of how serious the problems with various approaches
>> might be, to help inform decisions. Html pages that cannot be made
>> polyglot..... are they rare? Common? Only happens with pages that also
>> have significant problems in ogher ways?
>
> Is this really where we are at? It seems to me this question was
> answered when the W3C started working on HTML again in 2007. It is great
> of course to rehash old debates over and over until we can argue each
> other sides successfully and whatnot, but it would also be nice if there
> was a sign of progress.
>
> (That the web is a mess was shared at
> http://www.w3.org/2006/03/TP-minutes.html#item01 for instance. Even
> people trying to do XHTML cannot get it right. This really ought to be
> common knowledge by now.)

Yes, many people try to do XHTML but fail. Some do, and get it right. A
common cause are broken tools, or people trying without tools at all
(string concatenation, a common disease).

Other formats do not appear to have the same problem.

Can we move on now?

Best regards, Julian

PS: I agree that the report should link to a document that explain what
*can't* be done in XHTML as opposed to HTML.