Re: RDF Web Applications WG Position on RDFa/Microdata Task Force

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 20:38:46 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:
> This does not appear to be a problem.  It seems much more problematic
> to adopt a "first-to-file" system of solving problems, where later
> attempts to solve a problem better are blocked by someone else having
> already attempted to address it.  This problem would be made somewhat
> worse by the fact that people within the W3C can fast-track their own
> solutions and produce a deliverable much faster than an outside party
> can.
>
> If the W3C does not wish to back multiple technologies, it should
> avoid pioneering in new spaces, and instead wait for the market to
> choose a winner before stepping in.  (I don't think this is a very
> good idea, mind you, but I believe it's the best solution if we insist
> on only supporting a single solution to a problem.)

+1

This happened (though got resolved satisfactory) with forms, HTML media,
WAI-ARIA attempting to use a hyphen rather than a colon, captioning, and
most recently with events. There are probably a few cases I forgot. Each
time a lot of time is wasted in debate and each time it is resolved that
doing something new, albeit similar, is acceptable and the way forward.
And I think in all those cases it was for the better.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/