From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Cc: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, Norm Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
Sent: Tue, Jul 12, 2011 03:11:46 GMT+00:00
Subject: Re: Revised HTML/XML Task Force Report

Larry,

Le 11 juil. 2011 à 21:13, Larry Masinter a écrit :
> * How common are HTML documents that cannot be  reasonably represented in XML?

I'm not sure what you mean by common? Do you need global stats of the Web? Or patterns?
Global stats are difficult to draw.

For example, right now most of the documents which have an XHTML 1.0 doctype and are served as text/html are (unfortunately) not deliverable with application/xhtml+xml (My own site is only in application/xhtml+xml but I do not use scripting and many delicacies that most sites are using.)

> * What kinds of practical difficulties would arise for those documents (and how serious are those difficulties)?

These have been addressed a few times for a long time in different fora and is at the heart of all regular discussions between HTML and XML serializations.

You can also check "How is the treatment of application/xhtml+xml documents different from the treatment of text/html documents?"
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Mozilla_Web_Developer_FAQ#How_is_the_treatment_of_application.2fxhtml.2bxml_documents_different_from_the_treatment_of_text.2fhtml_documents.3f

--
Karl Dubost - http://dev.opera.com/