Re: ACTION-472: New Mime-web-info draft

Bob Ferris wrote:

> This can also enable a better discovery (if wanted by the client) of
> new media types that are previously unknown to the client, that tries
> to consume the delivered response.

I'm sorry, but this is just a pipe dream that's so far off in the
future, and the parameters for which are so unknowable in the present,
that it makes no sense for it to be part of this discussion.  I've
never even heard of anyone seriously working in the direction of a
smart client that, when encountering an unknown media type, somehow
infers the processing model from a standardized, machine-readable
format for media types.  I've never even read an explanation of why
this is needed, or would be a good thing.  The purpose here is not the
creation of a machine-readable registry where somehow all I need to do
is point a generic client at the definition for text/html and it
magically becomes a Web browser.  The scope here assumes that media
types, and their registry, are meant for human consumption.

-Eric