HTML WG ISSUE 120: Prefix mechanisms for RDFa

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 11:17:52 -0500
To: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
CC: Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
I suggest that it may be worthwhile for the TAG to actively track HTML WG
progress in resolving their ISSUE 120 [1]. Are there any TAG members
willing to volunteer to follow this, and to provide us a brief status
report at the F2F? (If I don't get any volunteers, I'll pick a victim, as
given our earlier work on CURIEs, I do think this is something we should be

HTML WG issue 120 results from a bug [2] that expressed concerns about the
prefixing mechanism used by RDFa.  Quoting (selectively) from the issue page:

--------Begin quote from Issue Description-----
HTML+RDFa uses indirect binding of prefixes, similar in spirit and syntax
to Namespaces in XML. Some argue that this is intrinsically too complicated
to be a good design for a Web technology:

"The use of prefixes that can be bound to arbitrary strings then combined with
other strings to form a third set of strings is IMHO too complicated for a
technology intended for broad Web deployment (e.g. in text/html)...

This bug is not arguing against RDFa. It's arguing against a particular
design decision in RDFa that is not intrinsic to RDFa's design goals."

The scope of this issue is to determine whether to remove or replace the
prefix mechanism of HTML+RDFa, or leave it as-is."

--------End quote from Issue Description-----

There was a call for change proposals [3] with a due date of 19 January
2011, and two proposals were submitted:

Proposal [4], as I understand it, removes support for RDFa prefix
processing from HTML5; proposal [5] maintains support for prefixes in
HTML5, and suggests changing the RDFa documentation to put more emphasis on
use of RDFa without prefixes, to better explain issues relating to
copy/paste, etc.

[1] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/120
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Dec/0065.html
[4] http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Change_Proposal_for_ISSUE-120