Re: HashInURI

From: Karl Dubost <karld@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 08:39:03 -0500
Cc: "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>
To: "ashok.malhotra@oracle.com Malhotra" <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>
Let's keep the information in this thread

    Iíve been getting madder and madder about the increasing use
    of dorky web links; for example, twitter.com/timbray has
    become twitter.com/#!/timbray. Others have too; see Breaking
    the Web with hash-bangs and Going Postel. It dawns on me
    that a word of explanation might be in order for those who
    normally donít worry about all the bits and pieces lurking
    inside a Web address.

    How It Works ∑ Suppose I point my browser at
    http://twitter.com/timbray. What happens is:

    *  The browser connects to twitter.com over the Internet and
       sends a query whose payload is the string /timbray.

    *  Twitterís server knows what /timbray means and sends back
       the HTML which represents my tweetstream.

    * The browser soaks up that HTML and displays it. The HTML
      will contain links to all sorts of graphics and chunks of
      Javascript, which the browser uses to decorate and enhance
      the display.

Read more at
http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/201x/2011/02/09/Hash-Blecch

to be continued