RE: Persistent references

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 10:09:51 -0800
To: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, Jonathan Rees <rees@mumble.net>, "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
CC: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
For myself, I've found the issue of persistence come into more clarity when considered in the context of

"persistence of references to documents"
(vs. persistence of references to other things)
and in particular the discussion topics raised in

http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/12/evolution/Identifiers.html

and
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2011/12/evolution/References.html

if you consider an RDF triple as a "protocol element" which uses URIs as "specifications" of what the subject, object, and predicate mean.
If we had persistent URIs, would we use them instead of full citations in W3C specifications?

Larry