Re: early draft on 'best practices for registries' & Dec 8 call ACTION-531

From: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 10:59:18 +0100
Cc: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>, Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Larry,

skimming this document, I notice that it's written in relatively strong language  all the way to an RFC 2119 MUST that's supposed to apply to all Working Groups.

For a "Best Practices" document, I'd expect a much looser style of language: "It is useful to do this ", "Groups typically do that".  Or perhaps the good old imperative: "Best practice: Use IANA registries."

I'd suggest to either steer clear of strong normative language, or clarify that the status of the document is actually meant to be normative.

Regards,
--
Thomas Roessler, W3C  <tlr@w3.org>  (@roessler)