RE: ACTION-588: Update product goals for TAG work on MIME (includes fragid semantics)

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 05:48:12 -0700
To: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
CC: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
There is ongoing and active work in IETF on three separate fronts in three discussions:

a) Reviewing and updating in general the processes around getting items into IANA registries, including media types and URI schemes.
   See http://www.w3.org/wiki/FriendlyRegistryProcess for one summary of issues, status, and possible resolutions.

b) specific update to the Media Type Specifications and Registration Procedures
   http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-freed-media-type-regs

c) the "MIME sniffing" document in the websec working group
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-websec-mime-sniff

And there are W3C documents:
d) TAG finding on Internet Media types: http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2002/0129-mime

e) W3C guidelines on registering types: http://www.w3.org/2002/06/registering-mediatype.

The TAG product should involve review, participation in, and suggested updates to those documents. If necessary, we can also publish a new TAG finding or additional Internet drafts, or other actions, but I think our first priority and schedule should be toward reviewing and updating those documents. In particular, it's unclear whether additional versions of

f)  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-masinter-mime-web-info  will be helpful.

As far as discussion at the F2F, I'd suggest we schedule a review of the 5 documents in question (a) - (e) with respect to the issues raised in (f).

One possible areas where the TAG might go beyond those efforts would be whether W3C might mount an additional effort -- beyond those contemplated in the documents so far -- to get previously unregistered but widely used parameters (media types, URI schemes) into registries as a reliability issue

Larry