RE: ACTION-588: Update product goals for TAG work on MIME (includes fragid semantics)

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 05:48:12 -0700
To: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
CC: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
There is ongoing and active work in IETF on three separate fronts in three discussions:

a) Reviewing and updating in general the processes around getting items into IANA registries, including media types and URI schemes.
   See http://www.w3.org/wiki/FriendlyRegistryProcess for one summary of issues, status, and possible resolutions.

b) specific update to the Media Type Specifications and Registration Procedures

c) the "MIME sniffing" document in the websec working group

And there are W3C documents:
d) TAG finding on Internet Media types: http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2002/0129-mime

e) W3C guidelines on registering types: http://www.w3.org/2002/06/registering-mediatype.

The TAG product should involve review, participation in, and suggested updates to those documents. If necessary, we can also publish a new TAG finding or additional Internet drafts, or other actions, but I think our first priority and schedule should be toward reviewing and updating those documents. In particular, it's unclear whether additional versions of

f)  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-masinter-mime-web-info  will be helpful.

As far as discussion at the F2F, I'd suggest we schedule a review of the 5 documents in question (a) - (e) with respect to the issues raised in (f).

One possible areas where the TAG might go beyond those efforts would be whether W3C might mount an additional effort -- beyond those contemplated in the documents so far -- to get previously unregistered but widely used parameters (media types, URI schemes) into registries as a reliability issue