Re: how does host B know that its visitor is the one that visited host A?

Jonathan,

are you assuming the servers communicate to one another?

One particularly vicious communication would be from such hosts as Google Analytics which sees the URL requests made to a huge amount of servers of the earth (they don't really know the content of the web-page thanks to browser protection but URLs tell a lot). I think Facebook inserts (e.g. badges) are of the same type (because they prevent caching).

If such a communication happens, you have all the solutions to the below experience: your browser is identified with a cookie and that is submitted to the "common" server (analytics.google or facebook).

What would be nice is to find tests to discover these and be able to warn or to blame non-respect of the terms of use. Maybe something is doable.

paul

PS: Privacy libertarians are aware of these but then... many including the EU even say one should reject cookies except explicitly authorized. This is non-realistic for today's architecture. A more nuanced position is needed.