Re: Shut down the RDFa/Microdata Task Force initiative

From: Nathan <nathan@webr3.org>
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 01:07:26 +0100
To: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>
CC: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, W3C TAG <www-tag@w3.org>
Harry Halpin wrote:
> it still seems inherently to do a disservice to Web
> developers and the users of the Web to have two (three if you count
> microformats, which I would) divergent ways of putting data - say
> contact info - into a web-page.

minor note, there are way more than three ways actively being used
around the web:

  - Microdata
  - RDFa (1 and 1.1)
  - Microformats
  - <meta> and <link> (like DC. usage and opengraph)
  - data-* attributes
  - rdf/xml in comments
  - turtle/n3 in <script> blocks

We can perhaps discount the last two as out of scope, and possibly even
the data-* attributes, however the first four are definitely active and
competing rather than complementing.

Alas, I personally can't see any technical reason why those four can't
all be unified or at least made to complement / extend one another.

On the 1-2 year timeline things are going to be rather a mess, if
metadata in HTML is important, then we need to look at the 5-10 year
timeline.

This leads me to suggest that framing this as an "RDFa/Microdata" task
force and problem is probably too little too late, and a waste of
people's time (particularly around political matters). It may have
worked back in 2009, can't see it standing a chance now.

Perhaps though, it's an ideal time to learn some lessons, see what
people actually are using and how they are using it, then plan a unified
solution for 2016 onwards. Or perhaps it's just best to sit back and see
what happens, then standardize the intersection / superset - which is a
little bit ironic giving these are solutions from a standardization body
- but it may not hurt too much.

Best,

Nathan