Re: ACTION- 541: Jeni to help Dan pull together terminology on Deep Linking

On 4/10/2011 5:44 PM, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> Well, so it is cache, then?? but hang on
>
> - It isn't accessed using the same URI
> - It doesn't enhance performance
> - You use it when something has disappeared and the main link won't work
>
> all of which I thought were more properties one would attribute to archive.

So, here's my inference about the Google 'cache' story:

* These copies are made primarily to facilitate indexing and other access
in support of Google Search. In this context, they are a classic cache:
they are used as high performance, easily accessed copies of
representations from the original URI. So, with that in mind, this is known
as Google's "cached" copy of the representation.

* Given that's there, it can be handy to let users see that "cached" copy,
and for that purpose Google makes at available under a new and different
URI, which is what you're discussing. That is indeed served from a link
labeled "cached", but I think what's intended on careful reading is: "link
to the copy that Google created for caching purposes in its search engine".
  Once accessed in this non-transparent way, it is indeed no longer being
used as a classic cache.

Noah