Re: ACTION- 541: Jeni to help Dan pull together terminology on Deep Linking

On Thursday, April 7, 2011, 7:32:06 PM, Noah wrote:

NM> On 3/31/2011 1:51 PM, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
>>    *cache*: to store a copy of something hosted elsewhere and
>>    likewise make it available

NM> I feel like this is missing something along the lines of:

NM> *cache*: to store a copy of something hosted elsewhere and likewise make it
NM> available. Cached copies are typically created to improve performance or
NM> availability, and are usually not managed for long-term stability.

It also seems to be missing the distinction that a cached copy is the same resource; the URI does not change, there just happens to be a copy stored along the network path.

A cached copy thus differs from a copy which is served from a different URI (which may be an out of date snapshot, either inadvertently or deliberately, such as with the wayback machine).

NM> I don't love that, but I feel your original definition misses the point of
NM> a cached copy: it's typically an optimization, and crucially, nothing in
NM> the system should behave differently if that copy disappears, except for
NM> perhaps being slower or less able to respond in the face of network partition.

NM> Noah

 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG