Re: ACTION-434: Some notes on organizing discussion on WebApps architecture

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 20:12:29 -0400
To: ashok.malhotra@oracle.com
CC: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, John Kemp <john@jkemp.net>, "Appelquist, Daniel, VF-Group" <Daniel.Appelquist@vodafone.com>, "jar@creativecommons.org" <jar@creativecommons.org>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>

On 10/14/2010 7:06 PM, ashok malhotra wrote:
> But, a picky point, if you add a fragId to a URL is it the same URL?  I
> think we need to argue that it is.

If you're saying "we should advocate the position that they are the same",
I strongly disagree.

http://example.org/somedocument

and

http://example.org/somedocument#a

are different URIs.  See RFC 3986, and in particular the section on
comparison [1].  I see nothing there to suggest that the two examples above
are in general the same;  on the contrary, almost all of Web architecture
and a fair amount of deployed infrastructure for the Semantic Web depends
on their being different (or at least not presumed the same).

Noah

[1] http://www.apps.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3986.html#sec-6