Re: image/svg+xml, was: Feedback on Internet Media Types and the Web

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 19:01:05 +0000
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>, "www-tag@w3.org WG" <www-tag@w3.org>, MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>, Mark Nottingham <mnot@pobox.com>, alexey.melnikov@isode.com

Julian Reschke writes:

> On 18.11.2010 19:32, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
>> I'm confused.  .svgz files should be served as

>> What's the problem?
>
> That's no problem.
>
> However it *is* a problem to claim that .svgz files have the type
> "image/svg+xml". They don't. Feed them into a recipient that expects
> XML and see it fail.

'claim'?  Claim how?  Who has claimed this?  How might someone claim
this in any substantive way, except by failing to include the above
Content-Encoding header in a message containing a gzipped SVG
document. . .

OK, I've now followed the link [1] in your original message, and it
seems very odd to me.  The passage Mark Nottingham quotes, modulo the
correction of Content-Transfer-Encoding to Content-Encoding, seems
entirely satisfactory to me.  What is the Content-Encoding header [2]
_for_, if not precisely for this case:

 "The Content-Encoding entity-header field is used as a modifier to
  the media-type. When present, its value indicates what additional
  content codings have been applied to the entity-body, and thus what
  decoding mechanisms must be applied in order to obtain the
  media-type referenced by the Content-Type header field."

I've included Mark and Alexey in this conversation --- Alexey, I think
we particularly need to hear from you about what is wrong with a
message with the headers quoted above.

ht

[1] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-types/current/msg01010.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.11