Re: "tdb" and "duri" URI schemes...

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 00:48:49 -0400
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Cc: Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
FWIW, I can't understand what you are talking about here.

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com> wrote:

> Personally, one of the things that I find myself dwelling on is the
> infinite order  -- there are uncountably many "things", but only a
> countable number of "descriptions".

Definitions? Proof?
Even if there was a counting argument to be made here, I can't see how you
would arrive at "things that *can* be described". You might perhaps land up
with "things that *have* been described". But there isn't a unique mapping
of countable on to uncountable sets.

> At least, for me, the distinction isn't silly or meaningless. In addition,
> the notion of "identity" is
> associated with the description rather than the thing-described

Which notion of identity? There are a number.
There are certainly notions of identity associated with (any)things.

> ,which seems to me to be an important distinction; I'd rather elaborate
> these
> ideas than leave them unstated.

Elaboration would be good.

> That is, "things" don't really form a set, in the sense of having
> a clear equality relationship.

>  We talked about this before and I don't think I convinced you, but perhaps
> you'll have more sympathy for
> my continuing to talk about "anything that can be described" vs "anything".

I'd be interested in an attempt to be convinced. But as another heads up,
what you are saying here seems in contradiction to the basis of all the
SemWeb languages, which I think would be setting precedent.