Re: Detecting Browser History from Schneier on Security

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 6:31 AM, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>
> wrote:
> > re ISSUE-31 (metadata in URI), sub-issue secrets-in-URIs
> >
> > http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2010/05/detecting_brows.html
> > "All major browsers allow their users' history to be detected"
> >
> > Note
> > (a) this confirms the claim made in TAG discussion that URIs that one
> > navigates to are sometimes not well protected
> > (b) it is taken for granted that this is a bug (privacy breach) that
> > needs to be fixed, and that can be (i.e. the FF developers think that
> > protecting URIs is "best practice")
> >
> > If I understand correctly the attack only applies to guessable URIs.
>
> Not exactly. Firstly, guessable here just means public.

Hi Dan, what do you mean by "guessable" and "public"? As you explain below,
the attack does work against what I would call guessable non-public URIs.
However, your other point below does suggest modifying Jonathan's statement

    the attack only applies to guessable URIs, or to URIs that can be found
by navigating from guessable URIs.

This seems a good clarification.

--
    Cheers,