Re: FW: New Version Notification for draft-hakala-rfc3187bis-isbn-urn-00 (fwd)

cool... more confirmation that people are willing to use http: URIs as names:

   ...URNs are therefore
   expressed in the form http://urn.fi/<URN>.  For example, the URN
   http://urn.fi/URN:ISBN:978-952-10-3937-9 identifies Sami Nurmi's
   doctoral dissertation "Aspects of Inflationary Models at Low Energy
   Scales".

I'm taking this out of context of course, and 'the URN' might be a
typo for 'the URL'. I think what they mean is that if you have an ISBN
and want to turn it into a hyperlink, you have to hunt down a service
(in this case urn.fi) that can "resolve" it and figure out how to make
an http: URI that resolves using the service. Sort of like ARK when
the key's "home" domain has gone south.

   resolving the same URN in multiple locations
   may provide different services; the national bibliography may be able
   to provide bibliographic information only, while the publisher can
   also provide the book itself, on its own terms

This goes back to my earlier question: if a URI 200-resolves to
metadata (or worse, resolves to either metadata or data on whim, as
these URIs and handle system URIs do), how do we feel about the URI
naming or "identifying" the data? The httpRange-14 rule is silent on
this question, but the ISSUE-14 idea that motivated the rule is that
you need distinct names for thing and description of thing. This would
say we want separate URIs in the IR case (e.g. books, journal
articles) just as we do for other resources (e.g. people, classes).
This draft URN registration is a good test of both the coherence and
the marketability of the intended architecture.

Good find, Larry!

Jonathan