Re: including a schema with "HTML: The Markup Language" Clarifying TAG Re: Courtesy notification

OK, now I understand better where you are coming from.

All of which I guess underscores Larry's point: it's hard (if not generally
impossible) to use a grammar/schema/other-formal-description to check *all*
aspects of program/input correctness, but that doesn't take away from the value
of using one to validate those aspects that are amenable to such validation.

In my experience, it is often the process of expressing/reviewing a language in
some formalism that is of greatest value, for understanding implications of and
problems in its design.  I believe Dan Connolly reported some similar
experiences w.r.t. XQuery a few years ago (Amsterdam WWW conference, developer
day, IIRC).

<aside>
(I'm not sure about the HTML lexer, but an XML lexer can't (easily) be described
in terms of a finite state machine because of context sensitivity of the
tokenization process - something I learned trying to fix up an XML parser
written in Haskell, which might in turn be regarded in some ways as being pretty
close to a general-purpose, machine processable formal specification language.)
</aside>

#g