Re: HyperGrids -- connecting virtual worlds for OpenSim and web arch

On 1 March 2010 16:25, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org> wrote:

> Interesting to see what connections there should be between web
> architecture and the hypergrid. Does the hypergrid use URIs? Can I put one
> in a HTML page and link to a virtual world portal?  Can I link back the
> other way, putting an arbitrary URI in a link in a virtual world?
>
> "The Hypergrid: An Architecture for a New Web: OpenSim is chartering
> territory in making Virtual Worlds interoperable with each other and with
> the Web. At the heart of it there is the Hypergrid, an emerging architecture
> that allows the seamless transfer of users' agents between grids operated by
> different entities. While the Hypergrid is coming to life in the context of
> OpenSim-based 3D Virtual Worlds, its foundations shed a new light into what
> the Web could be."
> -- http://metaverse.stanford.edu/agenda/crista-lopes/crista-lopes
>
> http://www.ics.uci.edu/~lopes/ <http://www.ics.uci.edu/%7Elopes/>
>
> See also
> http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2009/05/hypergrid-101-why-its-good-for-business/etc
>

> Is anyone on the TAG following the connections with OpenSim?

I'm not on the TAG, but I've been following the OpenSim mailing list for
over a year.

I've previously suggested the use of FOAF+SSL for login, and RDF for marking
up assets etc., which I think would be an ideal match.

>From what I've seen, it's a youngish project that's not (yet) strongly
integrated with the web, but they are exploring the idea of federation with
"hypergrids".  There has also been some talk about OpenID and Oauth, but as
they use a "rich client", they dont much like the idea of browser style
redirects.  Latest I heard they were exploring an SSL style solution for
login.

Hope that helps!