Re: permanent URIs for media

On Jun 6, 2010, at 10:28 AM, Larry Masinter wrote:

> XMP uses GUID-based URIs for referencing content. It is assumed that there is
> a system/index which can be used to discover content if all you have is the
> GUID.

Just out of curiosity, what algorithm is used to generate these GUIDs.
Most GUID algorithms I have looked at are either machine-specific UUIDs
or do not produce globally unique strings beyond a 12 or 20 year horizon.
That is "good enough" for almost all applications, but not all long-term
document repositories.

....Roy