Re: Copy to Clipboard - ambush and abuse by javascript

John Kemp wrote:
> On Jun 3, 2010, at 12:48 PM, Nathan wrote:
>
>> long term I'd love to see signed javascript widgets on the client-side (so trust is implicit and opted in to by the user, like when we 'install' an application).
>
> I don't think that signing the widget (and corresponding signature verification by the widget installer) implies any _real_ trust between the user (who is simply clicking a button saying "install this app from XX, yes or no?") and the widget.
>
> In the best case, the signature was made by a company whose brand the user trusts, and the widget application code was verified reasonably well enough as to be thought of by the signer as "unlikely to be malicious".

I'd argue the best case is that the code can't run unbeknown to me,
without at least some action on my part first - implicit trust may have
been a bit strong to be fair, but there is some kind of expectation of
trust, some notion of accountability, all of which are far better than
the current 'code just runs regardless' situation we have now.

>> short term is there really anyway around this? sites could still proxy the request, even if not using XHR they could load any remote element with GET params in to the DOM and pass info that way..
>>
>> The only 'real' way I can see to address this, is to get each user to verify every single HTTP request after document.onload has fired, in combination with CORS on the server side (would still need a UMP style 'Uniform-Headers' addition though [1]), and perhaps further in combination with a trusted domain/script list approach - likelihood of that happening..?
>
> Why should someone trust a domain at all?

no reason why anybody should of course, yet I personally do trust my own
domains, most of my clients and friends, and some larger entities like
w3.org. In a scenario like the above I'd really appreciate the ability
to turn of that 'do you want to' nag screen for these domains :)

Many Regards,

Nathan