Re: Copy to Clipboard - ambush and abuse by javascript

On 3 Jun 2010, at 00:22, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On Jun 2, 2010, at 2:51 PM, ashok malhotra wrote:
>
>> Let me argue the other side.  If I make my living serving copyrighted content, allowing
>> unrestricted copy/paste is handing out a license to steal/plagiarize.  So, how do I protect myself?
>> -- disallow copy? add a hidden watermark that can be used for legal prosecution?
>
> [...]  I doubt that the real
> intended use of the javascript is to enforce copyright -- it is
> just a marketing tool, like all the other privacy-invading
> javascript junk.  It is using the links to enhance cross-site
> analytics, which is a privacy concern, not a copyright concern.

It is also a tool that can be used to determine the value of the content by tracking its reuse. Nowadays, links and page hits mean very little, but such content re-use by a human means engagement, etc. And it is hard to track short quotes (think n-gram fingerprinting, at web scale?) without those links.

Cheers,

Laurian Gridinoc
http://purl.org/net/laur