Re: W3C TAG position on policy mechanisms for Web APIs and Services

Dear Noah and TAG members:

The Device APIs and Policy Working Group understands the importance
of  privacy. The DAP WG  would like to ensure that privacy concerns
are respected with the additional data that Web developers may obtain
using DAP APIs. At the same time we recognize the importance of
simplicity, ease of adoption, and the limit of the WG scope to API and
policy development (and not the creation of an infrastructure).

The DAP WG is only beginning to consider the privacy topic and would
appreciate all help it can obtain from anyone that can help us
achieve  a good practical  result in a reasonable time. Our initial
starting point will be to examine the decision of the Geolocation
Working Group in more detail. This decision was *not* to include
privacy rules as part of the API.  That decision is documented with
the following  Geolocation WG resolution:

" If the proposal [to include policy rules as part of the API] was
adopted, the browsers would end up showing the user an interface that
appears to be a user-agent enforced privacy preference panel.
However, since the privacy information is provided by the website,
there is no way for the user-agent to ensure that the claims made by
the website are actually true. This could result in the users being
mislead by a  user-agent prompt. This would break the separation
between the user-agent UI (which users trust) and the site content
(which users don't necessarily trust) and would therefore undermine
the user's trust in the user-agent, with extremely severe consequences
for Web security."

http://www.w3.org/2008/geolocation/track/issues/10

While we intend to look at each of the assertions made in that
resolution and see if and how they would apply to our own set of
APIs, we would very much welcome the TAG’s perspective on that
resolution.

We would also appreciate TAG input on how the DAP WG can address
privacy  concerns while limiting the scope to the API and policy
aspects of its charter, and not presuming or creating a surrounding
infrastructure.

Thank you.

Regards,

On behalf of the DAP WG

Frederick Hirsch and Robin Berjon, Co-Chairs

Note, This should fulfill DAP ACTION-73 (for Tracker's benefit)