Re: Backward-compatibility of text/html media type (ACTION-334, ACTION-364)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:23:55 +0100
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
CC: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, www-tag@w3.org
Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 16:15:00 +0100, Julian Reschke
> <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
>> That's exactly what the rules for re-registering a MIME type forbid --
>> making previously conforming content non-conforming.
>>
>> Again:
>
> Again, that has already happened as far as I can tell and was happily
> approved. Maybe the rules need an update.

Well, maybe the key word here is the "may":

    Changes should be requested only when there are serious omissions or
    errors in the published specification.  When review is required, a
    change request may be denied if it renders entities that were valid
                   ^^^
    under the previous definition invalid under the new definition.

Therefore:

- the HTML WG needs to decide whether it *wants* to make a large class
of documents on the web non-conforming text/html, and

- if yes, it can attempt to update the registration, but it *may* be denied.

Best regards, Julian